Mission & History
Encore Theater Company is a nonprofit theater dedicated to providing an artistic home for performers of all backgrounds who share a singular mission: telling stories that matter.
Founded in 2020, ETC produces 2-3 timely musicals and plays per year and offers a range of educational workshops and performance opportunities. ETC draws on its home base in the eclectic, outspoken community of Takoma Park, providing diverse artists and audiences in the region with opportunities for connection, conversation, and collaboration.
In summer 2020, ETC was the first professional company in the area to produce live theatre during the pandemic, mounting a masked and outdoor production of the acclaimed musical Next to Normal.
At our core, we believe in:
- Producing intimate, substantive works that challenge audiences and artists alike
- The unexpected thrill of live theater and its ability to transport and transform participants, both on and off the stage
- Age appropriate casting, and in particular producing works that provide opportunities for representation across age, gender, race, and sexual orientation
- Open, transparent auditions that embrace and empower artists to bring their whole selves to the process
- Compensating artists for their time, whether as performers or as educators